Thursday, April 17, 2014

Welcome


Stunning Cunning

The Life Of A Tour Guide, Beale Street Entertainer And All Around Cool Guy

Hello my name is Brandon Cunning and I am your guide to Memphis.  I love this city and everything about it.  This is the birthplace of Rock 'N' Roll.  All it took was one crazy guy by the name of Sam Phillips, some recording equipment and one small room to create an institution.  People from all over the South, United States and even the world travel to Memphis to hear and see where this music was started.

Although I am originally from Pittsburgh, PA I now call Memphis my home.  I spent years as a radio Disc Jockey but always played music.  After making my move to Memphis I took a job as the afternoon drive radio host on an Oldies station in Memphis.  It was a dream come true by playing the music I loved on the air.  I had the highest ratings on the station and spent almost a year there.  Finally the dreaded news came that the station was sold and everybody had to get out.

After the station was sold I made my way to Elvis radio on Sirius XM where I spent about a month on the air.  How cool was it to go to Graceland everyday and play Elvis music.  I was asked to be their weekend guy but actually gave that job up to move over to WHBQ.  If anybody recognizes those call letters it's because that's the station that Dewey Phillips was on when he first spun that famous Elvis song "That's All Right, Mama."

After spending about 3 years at WHBQ I knew it was time to move on and focus more on music.  I started to put together my first band in Memphis.  They called me Stunning Cunning and I said let's just use that.

I have had the band for 5 years in Memphis and couldn't be more happy.  The first couple of years we played every Honky Tonk smoke filled bar between here and Jackson,TN.  I finally got my break a few years back when I was asked to play Blues City Cafe on Beale Street.  I also started to work for one of the best tour company's in Memphis called Backbeat Tours.

It been a great 3 years and looking forward to many more.  I have met some of the best people from all over the world.  I am also looking forward to meeting you too.

I have two bands that I work with and love playing in both.  My first one I personally put together of Rockabilly music lovers called The Stunning Cunning Band.

The second has played Beale Street for years and when their lead singer left I was asked to become their lead singer.  The name of that band is The Memphis 3.  




1 comment:

  1. Follow that Dream... you are getting it... the true Memphis sound and a Southern to boot..

    ReplyDelete